People use bird cage covers for a variety of important reasons: They help to calm pet birds for bedtime and they can help prevent screech-inducing freakouts, among others.
But they aren’t only helpful for birds – crate covers can provide a number of similar benefits for dogs too.
Below, we’ll discuss some of the reasons crate covers can help out dogs, and we’ll explain some of the things you want to look for one. We’ll also recommend a few of the best covers on the market and explain the basics method for making your own.
See our quick picks here, or keep reading for more details.
Quick Picks: Best Dog Crate Covers
Why Use Crate Covers?
Crate covers are helpful in a variety of ways, which can help a number of different situations in which dogs and owners find themselves. Some of the most common ways they can help include:
- Soothing nervous pups. Dogs who suffer from separation or generalized anxiety may benefit from a cave-like crate. Such dogs will generally prefer having a crate that is only covered on four of the five sides (not including the bottom), which will allow them to feel safe, while still keeping tabs on the family. If your dog really gets destructive when home alone, check out our list of the best crates for separation anxiety and pair one of those with a crate cover.
- Calming hyper dogs. You may be able to get your Chihuahua to chill out by putting her in a covered crate. The lack of visual stimuli may even help her to settle into a nap, and many owners find it helpful to cover their canine’s crate when it is time for bed.
- Eliminating begging behaviors. If your dog can’t help but give you the puppy eyes when you are trying to enjoy dinner (and fight the temptation to just give her your food), you may find that a crate cover stops the behavior. Even if it doesn’t, it will at least allow you to avoid that soul-wrenching look she gives while you work on preventing that begging at the table!
- Making travel a little easier. It is often quite helpful to use a crate cover while trying to travel with your dog. This will prevent your pooch from having to look at a variety of potentially upsetting stimuli and help her remain calm during the journey. Just be sure to keep an eye on the temperature inside the crate if the weather is warm.
- Maintaining comfortable temperatures. Crate covers can be helpful for blocking the wind and insulating your dog in chilly weather, while lightweight covers can help your dog stay cool in the summer by blocking the sun. For extra-cold climates, consider purchasing an insulated kennel cover for maximum warmth.
What Makes a Good Dog Crate Cover?
There are a variety of things you’ll want to look for when picking a crate cover to ensure you end up with a high-quality, durable product, which will work well and last for years.
Some of the most important things to consider include:
- It should fit well. Crate covers that are too small will provide gaps through which light can enter (or from which your dog can peer), while those that are too large will get stepped upon and generally look disheveled. Accordingly, you must measure your dog’s crate carefully before making a decision.
- It should be easy to put on and take off. Even if your dog usually prefers having her crate covered, you’ll still need to take it off periodically to transport the crate or when it becomes soiled. This means that you’ll want one that won’t give you a headache each time you have to put it on or take it off.
- It should be adjustable. Even the best-designed covers are unlikely to fit your dog’s crate precisely, so you’ll want a little bit of wiggle room built into the design. You’ll also want a cover that can be partially opened, so you can tailor the amount of coverage your dog has at any point in time.
- It should be machine-washable. Over time, the cover will collect hair, dander and little drops of saliva, so you’ll want to wash it regularly.
Our Top 5 Recommended Dog Crate Covers
The following five crate covers all provide the things you’d want in a good crate cover. Make sure you consider your pup’s specific needs when making a decision, but any of the following five should work for most dogs.
1. Pet Dreams 3-Piece Crate Cover Set
About: The Pet Dreams Crate Cover Set is a 3-piece crate cover featuring the cover itself, a simple crate mat, and a lower edge bumper. Easy to use, clean and fit on your dog’s crate, this cover can help you keep your pup feeling secure and calm.
- SALE! THE ONLY COMPLETE 3 PC SET is being discontinued to make way for our new and improved 3rd...
- FOAM BUMPER: 1. NEW FOAM BUMPER PROVIDES THE ULTIMATE COMFORT AND PROTECTION from the hard metal...
- REVERSIBLE CRATE PADS: 1. ALL SEASON PET BED, Cotton on one side will keep your pet cooler in the...
- SIZE AND FABRIC: *24 in. L x 18 in. W x 19 in. H (Length is the longest side) *FITS CRATES FROM...
Features: The Pet Dreams Crate Cover offers three crate accessories to improve your pup’s comfort.
The crate cover itself uses easy snaps to control and adjust panels. All front and side panels can be adjusted, allowing the cover to work for both double and single door crates, and allowing for total adjustment of the cover.
The crate pad (see our full review of crate pads for more options) makes the crate a much comfier hangout for your dog and is actually double sided – it features cotton on one side (great for summer), and soft sherpa on the opposite side (ideal for cooler temps).
The crate bumper is not commonly seen in most dog crate setups, but it’s a great bonus for owners who really want a cozy comfort spot for their pooch.
The bumper allows your dog to rest his or her body against the edges of the crate more comfortably, and is an especially great feature for dogs that like to lean or prefer bolsters with their normal dog bed. The bumper is also great for traveling in the car, as it can prevent your dog from getting burned from the hot wire when the crate’s been sitting in the sun.
The Pet Dream Cover Set is available in six sizes (18-, 24-, 30-, 36-, 42-, and 48-inch models) and nine attractive colors, including Burgundy, Denim, Olive, and Dusty Pink.
The majority of owners who tried this crate set loved it – especially the bumper, which owners found added an extra degree of comfort. Many reported that it helped to keep their dog calmer and quieter at night.
At least one customer complained that the set didn’t stand up to washing very well, so hand-washing or washing on the delicate cycle might be necessary to keep this set in good shape.
2. Molly Mutt Crate Cover
About: The Molly Mutt Crate Cover is a high-quality cover that comes in an array of fashionable prints and colors. Made from durable, preshrunk materials, the Molly Mutt Crate cover can be machine washed in cold water.
- Dog Crate Cover: With the Molly Mutt Crate Cover you’ll have a crate that matches your lifestyle...
- Cotton Crate Cover: This dog crate cover is made from durable 100% cotton canvas that breathes while...
- Accessible Crate Cover: The crate cover has door panels that roll down for full closure. Panels roll...
- Reduce Pet Anxiety: Did you know that covering a crate helps support pet relaxation and encourages...
Features: The Molly Mutt Cover features a fully enclosed design, which can provide your dog with complete seclusion. However, two of the sides can be rolled up if you like, to give your dog more ventilation and the opportunity to see out of the crate. Snapping straps are included to help keep the cover securely in place.
The Molly Mutt Crate Cover is designed to look as good as it works, and it is available in 18 different colors and patterns. It is available five different sizes (Small, Medium, Big, Gigantic and Huge). You can wash the Molly Mutt Cover in cold water, but the manufacturer recommends that you line dry it to avoid damage.
Most owners liked the Molly Mutt Crate Cover and rated it highly. Several specifically mentioned the roll-up sides in their review, and the great-looking color patterns were loved by most.
A few owners were unhappy with the thickness of the material and several complained that the cover shrank after a single pass through the washing machine.
3. Midwest Crate Cover
About: Made by one of the world’s leading crate manufacturer’s, the Midwest Crate Cover is designed to fit crates perfectly and perform the way you’d expect. Available in several colors and sizes, there is surely a Midwest Crate Cover that will work wonderfully with your dog’s kennel.
- Dog crate cover provides the privacy, security & comfort that dog's instinctually need & desire as...
- Black Dog crate cover measures 42L x 27.25W x 30H inches & is deisgned to fit iCrate & Life Stages...
- Dog kennel cover allows easy access to front, rear & side doors on 1, 2, or 3 door crates (no top...
- Hook & loop tabs hold dog kennel cover neatly in place converting the dog crate into a cozy "den"...
Features: The Midwest Crate Cover is a fully enclosed crate cover, which features three different roll-up panels that provide access to front-, side-, or rear-entry crates. It is made from 100% polyester, is machine washable and machine dryable, and it is backed by the manufacturer’s 1-year warranty.
The Midwest Crate Cover is available in four color patterns (Black, Camouflage, Brown Geometric Pattern and Gray Geometric Pattern) and six different sizes (22-, 24-, 30-, 36-, 42-, and 48-inches), which allows it to fit most standard crates.
Most owners were very happy with the Midwest Crate Cover, and found that it fit their crate very well. Several owners liked the ability to fold up different panels, and several also praised the hook-and-loop (Velcro) straps, which helped to keep the cover securely in place.
A few owners complained that the material was a little thin, and a handful of owners had sizing problems. However, negative reviews were pretty rare.
4. Precision Pet Indoor/Outdoor Pet Cover
About: The Precision Pet Indoor/Outdoor Pet Cover is a durable, flexible and feature-packed crate cover that can be used indoors or outdoors. This cover includes multiple windows and door panels, which give you the flexibility you want to keep your pet cozy and comfortable.
- INDOOR/OUTDOOR CRATE COVER: Create a den-like space for your pet with this kennel cover for large...
- Tailored Fit: A Tailored Fit for this crate cover is for easy on/off access. Pet shelter cover also...
- KENNELS & HOUSES: Crate & kennel training is vital for dog safety & comfort. We provide traditional...
- PRECISION PET: Precision Pet offers a variety of heavy-duty products such as wire crates, chicken...
Features: The Precision Pet Indoor/Outdoor Cover is made from heavy-duty, water-resistant fabrics to ensure it will last for years. It is machine washable and made with durable zippers and double-stitched seams. The front, back and top panels of the Precision Pet Cover can be removed as necessary, and each side features a roll-up, screened window for extra flexibility.
The Precision Pet Cover is available in six sizes (X-Small, Small, Medium, Medium/Large, Large, and Jumbo). It comes in two colors: Navy and Tan.
The Precision Pet Indoor/Outdoor Pet Cover received very good reviews from most owners who tried it. Most owners raved about the way it fit and functioned and recommended it highly to others looking for a good crate cover.
The only common complaints about this cover related to sizing problems, so be sure to measure carefully before making your purchase.
5. Petsfit Crate Cover
About: The Petsfit Crate Cover is a crate cover made of stylish oxford cloth and several panel options. It also has the option to remove a top portion of the crate cover.
- [Size Instructions] The dimensions of petsfit dog crate cover is 36.5 inches in length x 23.5 inches...
- [Ventilation & Breathability] 2 sides mesh windows with roller shades and top opening can adjust...
- [Easy to Use] Dog crate cover allows easy access and is compatible with front and side door dog...
- [Premium Material] Made of 600D oxford cloth with a water-resistant coating which is easy to clean,...
Features: The Petsfit Crate Cover is a cover that offers two entrance options as well as two side mesh windows. Made of durable oxford cloth, the cover has a nice look and feel.
One unique aspect of this crate cover that we didn’t see elsewhere was the option to remove a portion of the crate cover’s top, allowing for extra ventilation when necessary.
The Petsfit Crate Cover is available in three sizes and only the single grey oxford color:
- 30″ L x 19″ W x 21″ H
- 36″ L x 23″ W x 25″ H
- 42″ L x 28″ W x 30″ H
Most owners really liked the look of this crate, as the grey oxford material has a very nice aesthetic and is sturdy quality.
While this crate is waterproof due to the plastic inside layer of the cover, owners note that this reduces breathability and can make the crate quite hot. Some also have had issues with sizing, so be sure to double-check measurements before ordering.
Our Recommendation: The Precision Pet Indoor/Outdoor Pet Cover
The Precision Pet Cover is easily the best of the five options detailed above. It is the only product that features water-resistant materials and is suitable for outdoor use, and it includes several different panels that can be rolled up to provide a variety of ventilation options.
The Precision Pet Cover is also quite affordable, which makes it an exceptionally good value for those seeking a crate cover for their canine.
DIY Crate Covers: An Alternative Option
You aren’t limited to commercial options – there are a variety of ways to make your own crate cover. This can be great for owners who have specific needs or a limited budget.
Every DIY crate cover will differ in several ways, but there are three basic approaches you can take:
If you prize function over form and would rather spend your dog-care dollar elsewhere, you can just chuck a blanket over your canine’s crate. No, it will not look very good from your point of view, but it will work just about as well as most others from your dog’s point of view.
This is not a good idea for dogs who like to get into mischief, as they’ll likely pull the blanket right off the crate. They may even start to chew on the corners. But if you have a well-behaved pooch, who simply needs some private time, a blanket will certainly work. Of course, it doesn’t have to be a blanket – a towel or sheet will work.
The easiest way to make a proper crate cover is to cut individual panels from a thick, durable fabric. You’ll need to cut them to the same size as the crate panel they’ll cover, and you’ll need to devise some way of attaching them to the crate.
You can do this in a variety of ways, including attaching Velcro straps or just threading some shoelaces through the fabric and then tying them to the bars of the crate.
If you know your way around a sewing machine and have the time and desire to make a proper crate cover, you can certainly do so. In fact, you can include any of the most extravagant features you like, including windows or awnings.
If you have the skills and knowledge to pull this off, you probably don’t need me to explain how to make a fitted cover for your dog’s crate. However, you’ll basically want to make a split-seam cover (as described above), but then you’ll need to stitch the corners together.
It is certainly easier said than done, but the basic concept is fairly simple — some designs don’t even require you to sew at all.
Do you use a crate cover for your pup? What was your reason for doing so? Has it helped in the way you’d hoped? Tell us all about your experiences in the comments below. And, if you made your own DIY crate cover, be sure to tell us how you did it!